A Sri Lankan cricketer will face trial for raping a Sydney woman last year.
Last month, Danushka Gunathilaka’s four counts of sexual intercourse without permission were dropped.
On Thursday, the cricketer pleaded not guilty to rape in Sydney Downing Centre Local Court.
The NSW District Court will try him next month.
Mr. Gunathilaka allegedly paired with a woman on a dating app in Sydney last year during the T20 World Cup.
Before November 2, he reportedly talked with the lady online.
Police said the duo enjoyed cocktails in the city before returning to the woman’s house in Sydney’s exclusive eastern suburbs at 11pm.
Mr. Gunathilaka sexually attacked the 29-year-old lady in her home despite her appeal to “take it slow.”
Police said the cricketer choked the lady three times in a “forceful” encounter.
The lady told police she was “too afraid to do anything” and would only have sex with the cricket star if he wore a condom.
Police said the woman found the condom on the bedside floor.
“Stealthing”—the non-consensual removal of a condom during sex—was the remaining sexual assault accusation, the court was informed.
Since his arrest, Mr. Gunathilaka has been in Australia.
The court heard he had no criminal background.
He relinquished his passport and was ordered to report to police daily.
The Sri Lankan national also posted a $200,000 surety to guarantee court attendance.
July 7 marks the cricketer’s trial.